Initiation to Painting on Silk Workshop
22 and 23 of September 2018
This course is aimed at designers, textile artists, artists from other crafts and anybody who wants to learn the techniques to start painting on silk. No previous knowledge required.
Each student must bring Escoda or Van Gogh round watercolour brushes numbers 8, 12 and 16 with good tips. The best brushes for silk painting are squirrel hair Petit Gris brushes, but they are more expensive. Each student should also bring an apron, a notebook and a pen.
The rest of the materials and tools (silks, paints, frames, etc.) and steam-fixing the pieces done during the course, are included in the price
– Brief introduction to painting on silk, most common types of silks, types of paints and guttas, types of frames, etc.
– Silk preparation.
– Classic gutta technique: this technique is the basis of silk painting. The gutta or Sertí is applied as lines which form a barrier so that the colours don’t run into each other.We’ll study gutta and the consistence necessary for each type of silk. We’ll also learn brush handling, control, load and humidity.
– Dry and wet backgrounds, colour graduation. We’ll learn how to apply colour on the background of a piece, and we’ll learn the essential techniques to achieve a clean background without undesired effects. We’ll also learn to graduate colour.
– Anti-fussant and thickeners. Anti-fussant and thickeners are used to stop the colour running over the silk, so that we can draw on it as if it was a piece of paper.
– Melés: this is a very popular technique in hobby workshops because it is easy to apply and gives amazing results.
– Salt and alcohol technique. Salt and alcohol ´pull´ the colour, creating surprising effects on the silk.
– Fixing the work. We’ll look at the various fixing methods for silk and the different results achieved with each method. All students will have the pieces they have created during the course fixed.
Saturday 22nd of September and Sunday 23rd of September. Timetable: Saturday, 10.30 to 14.30 h and 15.30 to 19.30 h. Sunday, 10.00 to 14.00 h and 15.00 to 19.00 h. Total: 16 hours.
Number of Places
Registration deadline: 15th of September
If the workshop is cancelled by us, we will refund the full amount paid.
Where is the Workshop?
Suhzo Textil. c/ Baeza 4, local ext. dcha. Madrid, Spain
Tube Stations: Alfonso XIII (línea 4). Buses: 43 y 72
If you have any questions or need further information, please write to me by email at email@example.com or send me a message via Whatsapp to+34626099748